Every teacher needs five minutes peace. Whether it’s to help a small group, catch up on grading, or just to collect your thoughts, it’s time for a break. Enter the Independent Learning Module.
What Is an Independent Learning Module?
Every Independent Learning Module (ILM) merges digital content with engaging activities. An interactive website guides students through a packet of learning material. Each ILM is designed to keep students working independently for hours.
For me, it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Students interact with specially selected videos, simulations, games, texts, and websites. Then they respond in their student packets. They’re hooked, they’re learning, and they’re loving it!
Today I’ll be showcasing my January ILM. Click here to see a video preview of the student website.
Each monthly ILM includes lessons for eight subjects. As students click to select a subject, a webpage like this appears:
They interact with the clickable media then respond in their packets.
To access this free sample, click here.
How Can I Use It?
- Online Fun for All – The ILM provides fun, meaningful instruction and practice for all students. Use it all at once or for specific subjects. Kids can access it on personal devices. Or you can project it for everyone.
- I’m Done, Now What? – Let the Independent Learning Module provide anchor activities for early finishers or enrichment material for gifted and talented learners.
- Five Minutes Peace – If you’re behind on grading or need time to work other students, the ILM will keep your students busy for hours.
- Sub Plans – For a full day (or two) of sub plans. Just leave the ILM! Kids will learn, work independently, and have fun.
- Homework or Homeschooling – No more arguing or cajoling! Your child will love the monthly ILM. Moreover, he/she will be learning the whole time!
Every teacher needs five minutes peace . . . and more! With the Independent Learning Module, you can have it. These monthly ILMs are available now:
- October Independent Learning Module
- November Independent Learning Module
- December Independent Learning Module
- January Independent Learning Module
- February Independent Learning Module
Watch for the March Independent Learning Module soon!
Additionally, you will find student-friendly websites in these units:
- Exploring Energy: Sound
- Exploring Energy: Light
- Exploring Energy: Heat
- Little House in the Big Woods